Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween

New York State Governor Hugh Carey greeting a young guest at a Halloween party at the Executive Mansion, 30 October 1981. New York (State). Governor. Public information photographs, 1910-1992. Series 13703-83, Box 11, No. 020. Image courtesy of the New York State Archives.

Sorry for the light posting lately. After the 2011 Best Practices Exchange -- about which I'm not done posting -- ended, I headed to Ohio to spend a few days with my parents and took a bit of a break from the Internet. After I got back to Albany, I spent a few days digging out from under the mass of work that accumulated in my absence. Now that I've had a little time to recover, you'll see things perk up around here.

In the coming days, you'll see a couple of additional posts about the Best Practices Exchange, at least one post concerning the Barry Landau-Jason Savedoff case, and some other tidbits. However, today I want simply to wish you a happy Halloween and to share with you the above photograph, which was taken thirty years and one day ago and is found within my employer's holdings, and the recording below, which is of less certain provenance but was produced on 28 October 1940 by a San Antonio, Texas radio station. It brings together Orson Welles and H.G. Wells, who discuss Welles' infamous radio adaptation of Wells's War of the Worlds, which aired exactly seventy-three years and one day ago; you'll also hear a few words about Citizen Kane, which was released approximately six months after this conversation took place. Enjoy.



No comments: