Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Ilinois politics

Just one more thing before I hie myself to bed: I think New York State has just lost the Most Spectacular Gubernatorial Implosion of 2008 competition. Eliot Spitzer -- the crusading former prosecutor with a call-girl habit -- seems to have been roundly beaten by Rod Blagejovich of Illinois.

Shaking down the CEO of a children's hospital. Pressuring a newspaper to fire unfriendly editors. Trying to sell a U.S. Senate seat to the highest bidder. Wow. If only a handful of the allegations -- all of which are apparently supported by damning evidence -- are true, Rod Blagejovich deserves to spend a long, long time in federal prison.

Illinois may well experience an unplanned gubernatorial transition before the year's end. Having been through such a transition earlier this year, I feel for my colleagues at the Illinois State Archives. Their work lives are about become even more interesting than usual.

No comments: